Pride ends Broughton’s undefeated run

The Leesville varsity women’s soccer team huddles up before the game. Both Leesville and Broughton were undefeated in conference play coming into the game. (Used by permission of Danielle Pardo)

On March 26, the Leesville women’s soccer team (8-0-0) played the undefeated Broughton Capitals in their third conference game of the season. In a high intensity match, the Pride were able to stop Broughton’s quick counterattacks and win the game 3-2.

The game began with an early goal for the Pride. Within the first minute of the game, Reagan Norvell, senior, dribbled down the left side of the field into the box where she was fouled and awarded a PK. Brooke Sroka, senior, calmly passed the ball into the bottom right corner; the Pride were up 1-0 early in the game.

Twenty-three minutes in, Malina Pardo, junior, curled the ball from a corner kick onto the head of Mackenzie Gower, junior. Gower headed the ball low and to the corner, however a Capital defender was able to clear it to the top of the box. Jordin Mosley, who was at the top of the box, was able to intercept the clearance and hit a strong shot into the upper left corner of the goal.

The Pride began to accumulate attacking momentum as the half came to a close. However, were unable to finish on any opportunities. The game looked as if it would be an easy win for Leesville.

The start of the second half was similar to the first. Within two minutes, the Pride were able to capitalize. After building up through the defense, Bella Soltz, junior, passed a through ball to Norvell, running up the right wing. Taking three touches inside, Norvell hit a low driven ball from 20 yards out into the bottom left corner.

Six minutes after Leesville scored their third goal, Broughton was able to put one on the board. The Capitals’ center attacking midfielder intercepted the ball at the half and dribbled through the Pride defense. Twenty-five yards out, she slotted the ball past the Pride goalkeeper.

The momentum shifted as the Capitals were back into the game. Broughton focused on counter attacking and pushing numbers forward. Meanwhile, the Pride dropped defensively to handle the overload.

With the intensity of the second half, Pride gave up a free kick 35 yards from their own net. The Capitals hit a lofted ball into the box, hoping for one of their players to touch it into the goal. The Pride goalkeeper was unable to handle the delivery and ball slipped into the back of the net. The score was now 3-2.

Looking to send the game into overtime, the Capitals sent all numbers forward working to steal the ball and quickly counter. However, the Pride did enough defensive work to keep Broughton from scoring another goal.

The Pride will play Southeast Raleigh High School at home on Wednesday, March 28 at 6 p.m. Check @Lrhsnews on twitter to stay updated on scores.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.