Your New Years’ Resolution: Stick with it!

0
289

A New Years’ Resolution is an opportunity to ‘start fresh’ and inspires people to better themselves and leave everything in the past, hence the phrase “new year, new me.” 

It is almost guaranteed that you have made your own resolution before, but how many of these goals have you stuck with?

Most will blame their failure to stick with their self-improvement on their business, lack of resources, or unexpected bumps in the road.

Here are some helpful ways to ensure your resolutions can make it this year in 2023.

Set a Realistic Resolution

People often establish extremely difficult goals that become unreachable in a matter of time.

An unrealistic resolution could also be too easy to achieve, and you could become bored.

There is no self-improvement as an outcome of an objective with no struggle. Ask yourself a few questions: is your goal possible to achieve in the time frame you’ve set? Is it specific to a particular nature? 

Be Specific with your Resolution

To be able to achieve what you set out to, make sure you have a specific goal to accomplish. For example, if you resolve to “lose weight,” go more into depth and establish a more specific, attainable goal.

Instead of saying, “I will lose weight next year,” say, “I will lose 10 pounds by May”. This establishes a more concrete intent and an actual time frame. To dedicate yourself more, devise an exact plan for losing 10 pounds. This can include an actual diet or workout routine to follow.

This specification will aid you in sticking to your New Year’s resolution because there is an actual goal and plan.

Proper Energy and Drive

During these first few days of the new year, the motivation to reach your goal will most likely be at its peak, for you haven’t faced many challenges or obstacles so far. Keeping up the same energy as you enter deeper into 2023 in key. 

It is okay to have a lazy day if it doesn’t completely throw you off the path to success but make sure the laziness doesn’t override the drive. 

Keep Track of Progress

A nightly, weekly, or even monthly review (depending on the time frame of your resolution), can improve consistency. By continuous progress, whether its successes or failures, you will know exactly where you stand in accomplishing your goal. 

Make sure to celebrate your successes along the way. Whether it’s a small accomplishment like running a mile or a bigger milestone like completing a marathon, it’s important to recognize your achievements and give yourself credit. 

Block Out Self Doubt

If you have set an in depth, realistic New Year’s resolution for yourself, you can do it. Stop telling yourself you can’t. Even the tiniest victories are one step closer to success. Being your biggest criticizer is only focusing your energy on the mindset “I can’t do this.”

Instead, turn all of this pity into motivation to believe you in fact can do what you set your mind to. It’s possible that self doubt is in fact the only thing holding you back from your success.

Make sure you understand perfection is never attainable. As explained earlier, creating a specific goal can minimize any broad, unrealistic expectations. Obsessing over little slip-ups will only discourage you and push you farther from the desired outcome. 

Support System

Surrounding yourself with supportive friends and family will make it easier to stick with your resolutions. Say your end goal involves losing weight by exercise — find a workout buddy.

Joining a support group can also be a great way to stay motivated. Having someone to talk to and share your progress with makes it easier to stay on track. 

According to a 2016 study from Discover Happy Habits, of the 41% of Americans who made New Year’s resolutions, only 9% felt like they were successful in keeping them.

In a 2022 study from “Iovate”, 77% say they had been able to maintain their goal, while the other 23% were not successful. 

As we enter the new year, strive to be a part of the bunch who stuck with their resolution, and were successful in the end using the tips above. 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.