Women’s Soccer finish regular season with draw against Wakefield

Rachel Golden speaks to the her Leesville teammates during halftime. The Pride controlled the possession and scoring opportunities, during the second half. (Used by permission of Danielle Pardo)


On May 3, the Leesville women’s soccer team played an undefeated Wakefield in their final conference game. In a long match that lasted into overtime, the game remained scoreless as the Pride were unable to capitalize on multiple opportunities.

The game began with early chances for both teams. Within the first 5 minutes, Reagan Norvell had a breakaway shot that was saved by the Wakefield goalie. Directly afterwards, Wakefield counterattacked and created a solid chance that resulted in a volley, just going wide of the goal.

The first 20 minutes of the first half was dominated by Wakefield, as they controlled the possession and scoring chances. However, there was a shift 25 minutes in. The majority of the possession was held by Leesville; they had multiple attacks in succession.

In the 38 minute, with 2 minutes left in the first half, Leesville was under extreme pressure. With the Pride unable to hold onto the ball, Wakefield was able to attack freely and had multiple shots on goal. The Wolverines were unable to capitalize, the first half ended 0-0.  


As the second half began, both teams traded possession and scoring chances. As regulation continued, the teams had back and forth attacks that were stopped by strong defense from both teams.


At the 54 minute, Leesville started to control the game, marked by switches of play and quick passes. These beautiful plays were highlighted by Hannah Arostegui dribbling down the left wing and serving a lifted cross onto the head of Jordin Mosley who headed a rocket into the crossbar. The ball bounced back into the box and Wakefield was able to clear.

The Pride began to accumulate attacking momentum at the 60 minute and were able to create multiple scoring opportunities in the next 10 minutes. Reagan Norvell crossed the ball to the top of the box to a waiting Malina Pardo, who shot it right over the upper left corner of the goal. A few minutes later, another Hannah Arostegui cross landed on the foot of Bella Soltz, resulting in a volley over the crossbar.

In the last few minutes, Wakefield changed its tactics due to the Pride’s momentum. In a more defensive shape, Wakefield tried to slow down Leesville’s attacks and hold out until the end of regular time. The Pride continued to attack with the same intensity, but Wakefield were able to survive into overtime.

Into overtime, Pride held the ball and repeatedly attacked, but were unable to break through Wakefield’s defensive shape. The game ended 0-0.

The final resulted in undefeated Wakefield  (10-0-2)  being crowned the Cap-8 champions . Leesville (9-2-1) took second place, tied with Milbrook (9-2-1).

The Pride, as a 5 seed, will take on New Hanover, 12 seed, tonight at home at 6:00 pm in the first round of the playoffs. Check @LRHSnews on Twitter to stay updated on scores.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.